Monday, July 17, 2006

Make that in a few days...

I am here, with pictures... These are only the first few days of my trip, but since this post is already picture heavy, I thought I'd save my collection of Mayan ruins for another day.


Welcome to Caye Caulker

The Cayes (pronounced Keys) off the coast of Belize are small islands, at least partially formed by mangroves. They are in close proximity to the second longest reef in the world, so the snorkeling and diving are fabulous (I only tried the snorkeling). We stayed on Caye Caulker, which is very laid back. We also visited San Pedro, on Ambergris Caye, which is both larger and busier.



Caye Caulker doesn't have many motorized vehicles, but there are always people meeting the boats who will help you carry your luggage to your hotel.


Lokal Flava


local transport

The one thing you do have to watch out for are the golf carts. They don't go very fast, but they're hard to hear coming.


daytime


sunset

This was taken during a sunset canoe trip on the landward side of the island. The mangroves act as a nursery for all of the creatures that you can see out on the reef.

3 comments:

Lis said...

Cool!

Yes, I will be at the SnB :D

knittyknatty said...

So beautiful. I am so jealous!

Lis said...

Sorry I didn't show at Sn'B... :(