Friday, December 05, 2008

Damascus, Syria

I was mostly in Damascus to visit friends, so I didn't do a lot of sight seeing, but I have a few fun pictures.

Sadly, I don't have any pictures of horse riding, which was one of the most random things I did. I had never ridden English style before, and it was very off-putting to not have a horn and trying to learn how to post.

Anyway, here's what I saw...

mosque
The Umayyad Mosque in Damascus

specialclothes
First, we need to go to the 'Putting on Special Clothes Room'

meatmosque
and here I am inside, wearing my 'special clothes'.

oldcity
A portion of the old city walls

damascus
I just thought this was a cool building. I believe it's the municipal water building.

paintedroof
Inside the craft souq, we stopped at a store where they do these intricately painted panels in different shapes and sizes.

tiles
This is an example of tile work from the Takiyya as-Suleimaniyya, very near the Artisanat where I bought some lovely silver jewelry.

1 comment:

Shan said...

I am loving this tour of Damascus you're giving us. BeeYOOtiful.