Thursday, November 16, 2006

WIPs

I thought I'd actually try to post something about knitting, seeing as this is a knitting blog. I'm writing on Sunday, but I figure I'll save this post for a couple days so as not to completely flabbergast anyone by posting twice in one day. (The pictures are already out of date, and I took them yesterday.)


icarus progress

I have been making very slow progress on my Icarus, mostly because the yarn is fiddly and I can't do much else while I work on it. The yarn is the grey laceweight mohair that I won for my (incomplete) participation in the Knitting Olympics.


close up of icarus


gatsby girl

As a birthday treat to myself, I started the Gatsby Girl Sweater from the fall Interweave Knits. I even bought the suggested yarn (Rowan Cashsoft DK - it pills a bit while knitting, but feels lovely). I have also just come to the realization that I will not have enough yarn (I'm knitting at a tighter gauge than the pattern suggested, and using the stitch numbers from a larger size to make it fit the schematic for the size I want.) Note to self: Call Gisele at Wool N' Things to order more!


alpaca-from-NB scarf

I bought myself a skein of alpaca yarn from the only (or at least the only one I could find) yarn store in St. John during my trip to NB. I'm using the stitch pattern from a scarf in the booklet that came out with the fall Interweave Knits. It will be a short scarf (I just started the other half, because I'm not sure how much is left in the ball), but soft and warm!


hat

This is a hat promised to a friend last year. Yes, I'm running a little behind. Its knit in Patons Shetland Chunky, top down. I am stranding the part of the hat after the increases to create a nice, thick, inelastic fabric around the ears. Great for warmth while not crushing hair. I will do applied i-cord around the bottom to finish it off.

In other news, I finally ordered a swift and ball winder from Camilla Valley Farm. I missed them at the Inspirations Needle Craft Show, but the shipping is only $9!

1 comment:

one year from now..... said...

It always seems easy... order the yarn for gatsby - then finish the icarus while you're waiting for the yarn.

I hope your kitty is OK after her surgery...