Saturday, July 19, 2008



Pattern: Icarus by Miriam L. Felton
Needles: 3.25mm Clover bamboo needles
Yarn: Fyberspates laceweight mohair (I can’t find the yarn on the site: I won it in the prize draws following the Knitting Olympics.)

Started: Spring 2007 (I seem to have listed September 2007 on Ravelry, but I’m sure that’s wrong; in September 2007, I had just moved to Khartoum, and there’s no way I started a lace shawl then. Must correct. And maybe look at the blog archives to see when I really started.)
Finished July 2008

Mods: None. I thought about adding another repeat to the quill part (and likely have adequate yarn) but I’m glad I didn’t. I was worried it was going to be small, but the magic of blocking has made it much larger.
Notes: This yarn is lovely, but very sticky (mostly to my hands) at times. I especially had problems moving the yarnovers over the joins in the needles when I was fighting the humidity.

As shown yesterday, I did manage to move a stitch marker or two during the ‘quill’ section. I ended up not using markers for the plum bit and it ended up being easier (I’m not sure if that’s what I mean – maybe more intuitive?).

Blocking this wasn’t really a problem, even if it overflowed my foam squares a bit. I did need a lot of pins (which could totally have been avoided if I had seen brainylady’s smart photo first.

Ravelry info


Shan said...

This is such a weird coincidence - I was the other winner of the fyberspates laceweight after the Olympics. I got the most massive, enormous skein of that exact same colour...I have yet to knit it. It's very fine - more a cobweb, I thought. But your Icarus looks fantastic so maybe I can just use it as is, like you did.

Kelly said...

Wow! That is so pretty. Very very nice! And I agree mohair and humidity are two things that should never go together. :)

Amy said...

Go you, for persevering! It looks totally fantastic. :)

CanarySanctuary said...

I love those foam blocks - what a great idea! I need to get me some of those :)