Wednesday, August 29, 2007

In transit


sockblockers
Originally uploaded by knitter_tara.

(The above picture doesn't have anything to do with today's post, its just easier for me to post from flickr...)

Hi all! I'm posting from an Internet cafe in Amsterdam, on a stop over on my way to Sudan. Yesterday, the boy drove me to the airport in Montreal (you don't want to hear my rant about North American rules surrounding pets) to catch my flight. After a fairly uncomfortable flight for both of us (there's not enough room for anyone in economy, and my left hand is spasming again, so I couldn't even knit), we arrived in Amsterdam for just over 24 hours before taking off again.

I took a bit of a nap, and then left the cat at the hotel to come in to town to explore. I'm not much for tourist attractions generally, but I walked by all sorts of things as I wandered. I did manage to visit Beadies and H&M. I didn't have anything in mind as far as beads go, so I managed to restrain myself, but I did buy 2 cotton tops at H&M.

Then, I went to De Afstap! They sell mostly Rowan yarns, at pretty good prices. For no particular reason, I bought 15 balls of Rowan Cotton Jeans in a pretty pink-and-yellow colour (Shade name: Madras). I also bought a single ball of the new Cocoon, which is just heavenly! Its a Merino wool/Kid mohair single that is so soft and amazing that I couldn't put it down once I'd picked it up. Not that I need wool garments for the next little while, but I'm dreaming of a collar to go inside a winter coat, its that wonderful!

Anyway, I'm tired, so I'm going to catch a train back to the airport to hang out at the hotel with the cat.

Photo info: These are a pair of antique sock blockers that I bought at an antique store in a small town in the Eastern Townships (Quebec) and a Brownie camera bought from the store beside. I'll post the town name if I remember.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

oohhh...happy travels Tara!! Glad your cat made it with you so you have something furry from home (besides yarn of course)!

Anonymous said...

almost there! safe journey for both you & your kittie.