Saturday, November 17, 2007

UFO

Inspired by this post, I decided to resurrect my oldest(?) UFO:

scarf

This project was a lot of firsts for me. Up until this point, I had only ever purchased yarn at Lewiscraft or Walmart (I hadn't been knitting long, and had no idea where to find an LYS in Calgary), and had mostly knit scarves. Although they were very creative scarves for a newbie, including a vertically-striped, rainbow scarf for my sister before I had any idea what intarsia was (I'll have to see if I can get a picture of that, as it was also pre-blog).

Anyway, I went to Toronto (for the first time) for training for a new job, and walked from our hotel on Yonge St out to Romni Wools and saw yarn that wasn't Patons or Red Heart (for the first time). I bought two balls of Noro Kureyon, a Fleece Artist sock kit, and the skein of Fleece Artist Kid Mohair used for this 'scarf' (which is already 45" long, and 12" wide).

But, as you can see, I had never seen yarn in a skein before, so when I opened up the hank, I just started knitting as it was. The kid mohair is sticky enough that it hasn't dissolved into tangles, even after many years of being stored in this condition.

rose

You don't want to know what happened when I tried the same thing with the hank of sock yarn! ;)

No comments: